Server Spec for MailScanner

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Sun Mar 7 11:37:19 GMT 2004

Pete wrote:
> Considering our small mail volume, how to do put a price on the savings
> for the company? Not in the cost of users processing spam themsevles,
> but in the sense that if we were to buy the next best thing, that was a
> commercial product with 'support', whats sort of cost savings are we
> talking about? Is a well configured and smoothly running open source
> MS/SA machine comparable to 10k or 100K commercial products?  I just
> need to add it to my advice on the product we are supplying to
> management - i can find costs of products on the net, but i am not sure
> which product to compare MS to?

Here are a couple:

http://www.barracudanetworks.com/
http://www.gfi.com/

Barracuda is SpamAssassin based and has a nice GUI, it's not expensive
either but except for SA they are shy about what technology they use.
When it comes to GFI, you will need both MailEssentials and MailSecurity
to cover what MS+SA+Clam does for free.

Both sites have prices online.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.25-14,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.30, ClamAV 0.67 + GMP 4.1.2