Server Spec for MailScanner

Garry Glendown garry at GLENDOWN.DE
Sun Mar 7 07:31:20 GMT 2004

Pete wrote:

 >> We are at the moment running a single Celeron 2.2GHz SuSE w/512MB RAM
 >> and 2x IDE drive with software RAID1 ... machine is usually in the range
 >> of .1-.2 load average ... running the current MailScanner w/ F-Prot and
 >> ClamAV ... (adding Clam added somewhere around .05-.1 to the load
 >> average). Currently, the machine is running spam&AV tests for something
 >> like 20-30k emails on weekdays ...
 >>
 >> -gg
 >>
 > Thanks this is very usefull info.
 >
 > with that kinda of load, things like MyDoom or some of the other recentl
 > nasties had little impact on performance, mail was still scanned and
 > routed in a timely manner?

CPU utilization has been pushed near the 50% mark during the Netsky etc.
floods the last couple days - still, no noticable delays in the actual
delivery - no build-up in the number of in-queue files, no problems with
the outgoing files ...

Btw, we're usually putting a total of 500+MB of mails through the server
per day ...

-gg