notification feature suggestion

Isaac Huff ihuff at MAILGATE.PETERLI.COM
Fri Mar 5 19:30:24 GMT 2004

Hi,

In dealing with the current virus outbreak, I've been thinking about a
feature that I really miss from my old days with Amavis-ng.  I currently
have MailScanner sending notices to the system administrator
        (Send Notices = yes)
every time it finds a virus, which is helpful in my case.
What I miss from Amavis is that the notification doesn't say what
actually happened to the message - e.g. "QUARANTINED and NOT DELIVERED",
or "DELIVERED TO xxxxx at example.com", or "DELETED", or "CLEANED and
DELIVERED", etc.

With the many possibilities for rulesets affecting what happens to a
message, it can be confusing to see "file.exe contains worm.something"
but not know whether the message was delivered, not delivered, quarantined,
attachment file.exe removed, etc.  In other words - what MailScanner did
to the message.  Currently there's no way that I know of to get this
information.  Am I missing something, or could this feature be added?

Thanks.