splitting messages/duplicate messages - was Re: Upgrade Oddity -

Ken Anderson (Pacific Internet) ka at PACIFIC.NET
Fri Mar 5 19:06:57 GMT 2004

I was referring to the explosion of message parts, not archives.

I'd like to see a setting for max part explosion too, or something like
that, though I'm not sure exactly how all the code in Message.pm works,
so it's a bit unclear to me if that's possible or a good idea.

Our problem is compounded by the fact that we split recipients in
sendmail, so if a message comes in with 10 recipients, it's split into
10 messages. If it also contains 5 poorly formed mime parts, MailScanner
4.26.7+ will split it up again. So we end up passing 5 parts of 1
message to SpamAssassin 10 times = 50x. :-(

It would be nice if there was a way for SA to checksum a message, store
it's SA score and apply that score to subsequent duplicate copies that
pass through SA within a limited amount of time. This would help with
dictionary attacks too.

Anyone working on such a thing?
Does it make sense?
Thanks,