Upgrade Oddity

Jason Burzenski jburzenski at AMERICANHM.COM
Fri Mar 5 16:34:41 GMT 2004

Hello All,

I recently upgraded from MS 4.22-5 to 4.26.8-1.  I have very similar to
default configuration and accepted the defaults for all of the new options
available.

I have noticed (via mailscanner-mrtg graphs) a significant load increase
coming in drastic spikes during the day.  The intervals aren't that regular
but they do appear to be almost hourly.  Typicaly the load value will hover
between 0 and 1.  But, now, during the day I can see it create a peak over
the course of 40 minutes to an hour that hits consistently around 5. The
only significant process I am running hourly is mailscanner-mrtg (version
0.05).

I am running 2 dns load balanced servers, both dual 2.4g xeons with 2.5GB
memory processing somewhere around 100K messages per day each.  Here are my
stats for cpu/mem right off msmrtg.

BOX 1

Max  CPU Utilization: 30.0 percent       Average  CPU Utilization: 6.0
percent       Current  CPU Utilization: 11.0 percent
Max  memory including cache: 2552.0  Megabytes       Average  memory
including cache: 2452.0  Megabytes       Current  memory including cache:
2529.0  Megabytes
Max  memory excluding cache: 932.0  Megabytes       Average  memory
excluding cache: 853.0  Megabytes       Current  memory excluding cache:
894.0  Megabytes

BOX 2

Max  CPU Utilization: 35.0 percent       Average  CPU Utilization: 5.0
percent       Current  CPU Utilization: 19.0 percent
Max  memory including cache: 2563.0  Megabytes       Average  memory
including cache: 2454.0  Megabytes       Current  memory including cache:
2489.0  Megabytes
Max  memory excluding cache: 891.0  Megabytes       Average  memory
excluding cache: 784.0  Megabytes       Current  memory excluding cache:
779.0  Megabytes

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the load average
spikes?  I am not suffereing from performance issues but I was hoping to be
able to scale these boxes a little further and this limits my options a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Jason