Guess what.... 4.28.4

Plant, Dean dean.plant at ROKE.CO.UK
Thu Mar 4 13:53:18 GMT 2004

Julian Field wrote:
> Sorry the updates are appearing so thick and fast at the moment.
> I wish everything was rather quieter than it is right now. But you
> folks need protection against the latest nasties, so I haven't much
> option.
>
> I have corrected the problem with this morning's code where it wasn't
> correctly handling messages that contained both a password-protected
> zip and an unprotected zip.
>
> I have also added a check so that if you set the max nesting depth to
> 0 but still ban password-protected zip files, then the attachments
> are checked for password-protected zips without the other rules being
> enforced on the contents of the zip files. It will only check the
> first level of nesting though, as it obviously can't check a zip file
> it has been asked not to unpack or create in the first place.

Having upgraded to 4.28.4 password-protected zips are now blocked
correctly but I am having a few problems as we also receive genuine
files of this type.

I have
Silent Viruses = All-Viruses
Non-Forging Viruses = Zip-Password

But users are not notified of inbound password protected zips. With
other blocked file types users are notified correctly.

I also am unable to release any quarantined password protected zips from
Mailwatch as it is marked as a virus and not a blocked file.

Have I understood the Non-Forging setting correctly?

Thanks

Dean Plant

--
Registered Office: Roke Manor Research Ltd, Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell,
Berkshire. RG12 8FZ

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential to
Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any third party without
permission. This communication is for information only and shall not create or
change any contractual relationship.