Update virus scanner script

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Thu Mar 4 13:45:20 GMT 2004

Spicer, Kevin said:
> Drew Marshall wrote:
>> All
>>
>> It looks like I have managed to get myself a little confused. It seems
>> like Julian's update virus scanner script automatically runs as some
>> form of automated 'cron' job. I assumed that I needed to run it from
>> cron, so now have my av scanners updating extremely regularly (No
>> excuse for not being up todate :-) but a little over the top!) If I
>> remove it from cron, do I need to execute it as a boot script or will
>> just starting MS do that for me?
>>
> On an rpm distribution it just drops a file into /etc/cron.hourly.  There
> should be a run-parts line in /etc/crontab which checks the cron.hourly
> directory hourly and runs the files within.

It's not a problem getting it to run from cron but I set it to run at 39
minutes passed the hour and in the logs it shows that it runs then and at
the top of each hour (Not as per cron, I haven't updated to the latest
release yet, it's not in the BSD ports yet). I assumed that this was
brought about by the script auto running following the cron job running
initially.

> BMRB International
> http://www.bmrb.co.uk
> +44 (0)20 8566 5000
> This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the
> recipient and may contain confidential and/or privileged
> material.  If you have received this in error, please contact the
> sender and delete this message immediately.  Disclosure, copying
> or other action taken in respect of this email or in
> reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB International Limited
> accepts no liability in relation to any personal emails, or
> content of any email which does not directly relate to our
> business.

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy