DOS attacked :(

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Thu Mar 4 12:00:55 GMT 2004

Rick Cooper said:
> [...]

This will also stop Postfix if you are using any of it's UCE features.
Assuming you get some form of DNS running again, I would start just one
Postfix process - the out going one (Postfix not postfix.in) as $ postfix
-C /etc/postfix start and watch your logs, you should see any 'out going'
(Scanned) queued mail be delivered, then start MailScanner and get MS to
clear it's queue, ten re-start the postfix.in to allow more incoming. Heep
an eye on the log files and the mail queue ($ mailq). That at least will
tell you where the hold up occrs (If any where).

> Just do the items I described earlier  and redo your manual rbl
> tests. If you can ping by name then try your MS tests again, I
> think you will be amazed. But once you get things sorted out
> don't forget to chkconfig --add named and chkconfig named on
>
> If you cannot resolve a host name nothing is going to work
> properly, I can't image how you are sending the mail? Have you
> looked at your outbound queue?
>

>> >Sorry, I thought you said you installed from source.
>> >
>> >Have you thought about enabling named
>> (/etc/init.d/named start)
>> >on your box, the default would be just a caching name
>> server but
>> >it would resolve from root servers without using the
>> external DNS
>> >servers as the default and set your /etc/resolv.conf
>> to something
>> >like
>> >
>> >options ndots:1
>> >nameserver 127.0.0.1
>> >nameserver current.ns.1.address
>> >nameserver current.ns2.address
>> >multi on
>> >
>> >then /etc/init.d/network restart
>> >
>> >You may well see a noticeable improvement with RBLS
>> and such that
>> >require a lot of DNS lookups. If it helps just add/enable with
>> >chkconfig
>> >

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

been scanned for viruses and dangerous