DOS attacked :(

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Thu Mar 4 11:56:20 GMT 2004

Rick Cooper wrote:

> [...]
Thanks.

Enabled the named and changed the resolv and restart, turned on
spamassassin and sent through some bagles and netskys and all was good,
they were detected and and processed properly. (while writing this i
noticed quite a few bagles-gen2 getting detected)

Maybe a combination of the DOS attack message in the maillog (does this
mean zip of death?), slow as network connection and therefore big
hassles with RBLs, sa or ms runs MUCH slower than previous versions,
probably due to all the extra message handling needed to combat these
new nasties?

 Although just looking through the stats now, we dont have anywhere near
(hundreds of times less) virus stats as when mydoom was going hard, and
we dont anymore email volume in total than usual; and we detected half
as spam as we did yeterdya (cos SA was off almost all day?), so i guess
it was something to do with some of these nasties we havent previously seen?

Boss has given permission to buy a cheapo 2nd hand old fashioned server,
so hopefully will be able to double the specs on this and have some more
luck with that...