Need a help to understand viruses.to.delete.rules

Magda Hewryk mhewryk at SYMCOR.COM
Thu Mar 4 05:29:31 GMT 2004

Hi,
I probably don't understand what the 'Silent Viruses' option supposed to do.

My goal is to make the MailScanner to stop sending people (recipients) the
notification about the infected emails.  To achieve that I listed all
possible viruses under 'Silent Viruses' option in the MailScanner.conf file.

Silent Viruses = HTML-IFrame All-Viruses Klez Yaha-E Bugbear Braid-A
WinEvar Palyh Sobig Fizzer Netsky Bagle MyDoom

Is the above correct or I should make a list similary to: Netsky.b Netsky.c
Netsky.d Netsky.f etc...  I can see some people list all the possibilities
of viruses' names. /?/

My solution to list all names under 'Silent Viruses' option doesn't work,
people gets notified and all viruses are logged in the maillog file.

Should I try with the rules file?  What is the difference between listing
the virues' names under the MailScanner.conf file and the rules file?

This is my second option which I have not tested yet.
Silent Viruses = /etc/MailScanner/rules/viruses.to.delete.rules

Virus: Netsky   no
Virus: Bagle    no
Virus: MyDoom   no
Virus: NoVarg   no