4.28.4, works great!

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Wed Mar 3 19:28:01 GMT 2004

Jeff Earickson wrote:

>Julian,
>   Installed 4.28.4 this morning, turned on quarantining,
>works great (setup: sol 9, perl 5.8.2, sophos 2.79, clam
>0.67-1, using sophossavi and clamavmodule, SA 2.63, razor).
>
>Lots of emails that generate:
>
>ERROR:: File was encrypted
>
>in syslog turn out to be infected with Worm.Bagle.F-zippwd-3
>when I fun the quarantined files thru clamscan.
>
>I also have not noticed any significant increase in load/
>slowdown on my system (a Sun V1280) because of the new code.
>
>Great work, many thanks.
>
>Jeff Earickson
>Colby College

Julian

I know you said that you weren't intending to do another stable release
for several weeks but I think this change is such a major safety feature
that it would be worth doing. What do you think? It would help those who
only subscribe to the Freshmeat mailing list to get the new and improved
version and I would think that you would be the first with a real,
workable, secure solution to the password encrypted virus in a zip
problem. A real coup!

Just another point that made me smile today, I happened to notice that
on the bottom of an automated signature from a company that pays $$$ to
Messagelabs they were stating: 'This message has been scanned by
Messagelabs for viruses, it should be noted that we can not scan
encrypted or password protected messages'. Looks like even the mighty
Messagelabs have not worked a fix yet!!

Well done, a great result for MailScanner, still the best (IMHO ;-) )

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy