Upgrading from 4.26.8 to latest revision?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 18:02:01 GMT 2004

At 17:27 03/03/2004, you wrote:
>What is the correct procedure to safely upgrade from 4.26.8 to the latest
>revision?  The Installation Documentation and FAQ don't seem to mention
>an 'upgrade' procedure.
>
>Do I still use the ./install.sh script? (or is there an upgrade.sh script
>somewhere??)

I haven't changed anything in the other RPMs so you don't need to run
install.sh but it won't do any harm. You could just use
         rpm -Uvh mailscanner*rpm

>Do I need to backup any configuration files in the /etc/MailScanner folder?
>Which files are commonly modified during this install that I should be
>concerned it?

They are all maintained for you. After upgrading the rpm run the
"upgrade_MailScanner_conf" command and it will tell you what to do. If you
had just run the ./install.sh script then it would have told you to do this
anyway.

>MailScanner 4.26.8 currently
>SpamAssassin
>ClamAV (/usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper modified to use tmpfs
>partition)

You will need to save a copy of that, as it will be overwritten by the
upgrade with the latest version of the script.

>512mb TMPFS partition for clamav and mailscanner
>/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf modified
>/etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf modified
>/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf modified

Those 3 /etc files will be maintained. But you will need to upgrade
MailScanner.conf using the command above. Just run the command, it will
print out instructions on what to do.
--
Julian Field