ClamAV and Password Protected Bagles

Desai, Jason jase at SENSIS.COM
Wed Mar 3 17:31:02 GMT 2004

Hello.

I am running Mailscanner 4.22-5 (will be upgrading soon) with McAfee and
ClamAV.  I have had some of the latest Bagle viruses in password protected
zip files get through.  I know that various virus scanners are having
trouble detecting these.  I had one of these emails get quarantined because
the attachment name was Message.zip.  When testing to see if the virus would
get caught yet I found something interesting with ClamAV.

If I scan the attachment itself (Message.zip) clam reports it as clean.  But
if I scan the queue files (from  Exim) clam finds the virus!  Here is the
output of a scan with the queue files and attachment in the same directory:

# /opt/MailScanner/lib/clamav-wrapper .
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20040303/1AyVhB-0000OK-00/./1AyVhB-0000OK-
00-H: OK
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20040303/1AyVhB-0000OK-00/./1AyVhB-0000OK-
00-D: Worm.Bagle.F-zippwd-3 FOUND
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20040303/1AyVhB-0000OK-00/./Message.zip:
OK