Multi Threaded Perl

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Wed Mar 3 06:29:44 GMT 2004

David Hooton wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We have one box which for some reason seems to have been hit really
> hard by the latest version of MailScanner the strange thing about this
> is that it’s the newest and most highly specified box we have.
>
> The only difference I can see with this box is that it’s running
> multithreaded perl 5.8.0 is there any known issues with this at all?
>
> The box itself is a dual processor PIV with 1Gig of Ram running RedHat
> 9. We have the work dirs in tmpfs etc and have no problems with our
> other boxes, just this one which has gone from easily able to process
> 100,000 messages per day down to bearly processing 15,000
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Hooton
>
> Senior Partner
>
> Platform Hosting
>
> www.platformhosting.com

> Pain free spam & virus protection - Mail Security
> <http://www.mailsecurity.net.au/>
> To report SPAM forward the message to: spam at mailsecurity.net.au
> <mailto:spam at mailsecurity.net.au>
> To report incorrectly tagged messages: notspam at mailsecurity.net.au
> <mailto:notspam at mailsecurity.net.au>
> <http://www.mailsecurity.net.au/>

I know its not comparable spec/stats, but one of my servers i upgraded
from 4.24-5 to latest stable, where it was a p200/512mb scanning 500
emails per day with 6 MS processes, now cant even really run 3 without
every message passing with spamassassin time outs, which i am led to
believe re caused by the load on the server?

Was happily cruising along with .8 load avergae which is now alsmot 3
and sometimes 5 all the time. Upgraded mailwatch too, and this is now
fast as.

I believe i have this machine reasonably well tuned, and as i said was
running dreamily before this upgrade...before i read this i figured i
must have broken something?