Domino/Exchange MailScanner users

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Wed Mar 3 02:46:58 GMT 2004

Pete wrote:

> I know this has been covered before, but we are a Domino shop with
> MailScanners running in front of our email borders. All non spam email
> is relayed to Domino servers.
>
> It is not possible in this environment to ask users to forward mail to
> spam/non spam addresses, or copy them to spam/non spam folders etc they
> just wont do it.
>
> Is it practical for me to archive some non spam email each day and some
> spam email then run sa-learn over it with Julian's bash scripts?
>
> Is this how people who dont have the spam/non spam boxes gather non spam
> for bayes? I keep trying to use autio learn but i dont think it work
> very well and is very quickly poisened and giving negative scores to
> spam.
>
> Not using bayes means too many newsgroup/newsletter emails are trapped
> as spam, being an academic facility i, like mailscanner, consider most
> of the emails these people get is spam, but they dont. So i need to put
> some effort into getting bayes working, but without any user input.
>
> 1. Is the abiove worthwhile persuing? or does bayes really need user to
> input spam/non spam?
> 2. If i archive non spam and feed it into bayes, i would need to have a
> good look at it first - is there a way to apply filters to mailwatch so
> that mailwatch will display say only Spam, or only High Spam, or only
> emails that were archived, or only Non Spam?
>
> With this filtering i could then check the mail each day easily and
> release the legit stuff and then run the scripts on the mail remaining.
>
> Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions.
> Pete

Sorry for replying to own post - i have tried to create my own script
(from Julian's example)to make this a little easier on myself, but as
you will see i am a scripting gumby. I want to run this script at the
end of each day, all the spam is kept in dirs named using the date. How
do i set the SPAM variable to include the date in the path? You will see
i have tried to do this is my script, but it doesnt work :(

Nest I will try and work out how to handle ham, aside from archiving i
dont see how i will...

#!/bin/sh

DATE=`date '+%Y%m%d'`

touch /var/log/learn/learn.$DATE.log

PREFS=/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
LOGFILE=/var/log/learn/learn.$DATE.log
SPAM=/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/$DATE/spam
SA=/usr/bin/sa-learn
BOX=$SPAM.processing

date >> $LOGFILE

#Move the Mail for exclusive access
mv $SPAM $BOX

#Wait for the file move to complete
sleep 5

#Learn all the stuff in the current days quarantine
$SA --prefs-file=$PREFS --spam $BOX >> $LOGFILE 2>&1

#delete old spam
rm -Rf $BOX

#display the log file
cat $LOGFILE