SpamAssassin+sendmail config questions

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 2 19:18:30 GMT 2004

At 16:59 02/03/2004, you wrote:
>hi
>
>I have been using SpamAssassin so for Linux  with sendmail+procmail.
>
>I decided to use ClamAV and Mailscanner today. I have few basic questions,
>
>1. I had created /etc/procmailrc for SpamAssassin. Do I leave it "as is" ?

You can remove all the SpamAssassin stuff from this. MailScanner calls
SpamAssassin directly, which is quicker than using the spamc/spamd route
that is commonly used via procmail.

>2. On http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/mailscanner.shtml
>I see
>that I have to create,
>
>    /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
>    /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
>
>What should be the permissions of these directories?
>Should they be the same as mqueue.in as mentioned on
>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/sendmail.shtml ?

They need to be writable by the user you are running MailScanner as.
Probably root.

>3. On http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/sendmail.shtml
>I see the instructions for modifying sendmail commands. In my
>/etc/init.d/sendmail I have,
>

>         daemon /usr/sbin/sendmail $([ "x$DAEMON" = xyes ] && echo -bd) \
>                                 $([ -n "$QUEUE" ] && echo -q$QUEUE)
>         RETVAL=$?
>
>What should the above lines change to?

This makes it look like you are running RedHat Linux. If you are running
RedHat or other rpm-based Linux distribution, you should be using the
RPM-based distribution of MailScanner and just install it that way. Much
easier. There are installation guides for the RPM-based distributions on
the MailScanner website.

--
Julian Field