Clam AV

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Tue Mar 2 14:24:04 GMT 2004

All

Following the excitement of the last few days/ weeks speed of definition
update is king. Now I currently use F-Prot and Antivir. Both work well,
F-Prot probably better than Antivir as it was able to better scan the
boken mime formatted mail that came from those nice mailserver bounces
which included the infected message. I also don't use the MS update
scripts, preferring my own cron jobs spaced at different hourly times so
that if MS is called while an update is happening the other scanner will
still work and to attempt to ensure that one scanner should catch updates
no matter which half of the hour they are posted. I nearly got caught with
he Netsky.D when several went through 3 minutes before both scanners
updated (Good old MS blocked the files as they were .pif executables, so
the user was protected).

Cutting to the chase (Sorry it's been longer winded that I anticipated)
should I also run Clam (Which was updated quite quickly yesterday, no
promise that it wil be in the future but...) or is 3 AV products over
kill. The box it's on is not that big so will Clam use huge amounts of
system to run? If not 3 which 2?

So many questions I know but I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy