opt-in

Don Newcomer newcomer at DICKINSON.EDU
Tue Mar 2 13:25:46 GMT 2004

We're using MailScanner 4.26.8 and we're in the process of testing
SpamAssassin 2.63.  The plan is to adopt it site-wide but I like the idea
of allowing users to "opt-in" to having their mail scanned for spam.  I set
up a ruleset that's applied to the config parameters "Spam Checks" and "Use
SpamAssassin".  It's working fine in testing but I've run into a few
problems.  This ruleset is based on "to" addresses that determines whether
spam checking is done.  Unfortunately, as you all know, we get lots of
e-mail with forged headers that, based on the header information, shouldn't
even appear in your mailbox.  This makes using this ruleset for opt-in a
little ineffective.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to either (a) work around this
problem or (b) a better way to allow opt-in?  Thanks in advance.

Don Newcomer                                            Dickinson College
Senior Manager, Systems                                 P.O. Box 1773
newcomer at dickinson.edu                                  Carlisle, PA  17013
                                                        Phone: (717) 245-1256
                                                          FAX: (717) 245-1690