MailScanner vs. SpamKiller

Mon Mar 1 16:02:02 GMT 2004

Max

last week several peopl (including myself) posted what extra rules we
run for SA..

have a look in the archives.

Without Bayes I'm getting about 95% hit rate, with bayes about 99.5%,
yes bayes really does make that much difference! I'd really suggest you
spend some time to give it the initial 200 instances of spam and ham...

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Max Kipness wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I’ve been running MailScanner for a while for a few clients. I just
> signed on a new client that was using SpamKiller by Mcafee I believe.
> The main reason for the service is for queueing their mail when their
> Exchange server goes down which it has been every weekend due to
> scheduled power outages. However, they are still relying on the Spam and
> Virus filtration.
>

> The problem is that they decided to turn off SpamKiller the other day,
> and started getting spam that they assumed MailScanner would stop.
> Bottom line is that when SpamKiller is enabled, they get close to no
> spam at all. Some of the samples that they sent me are the very basic
> couple of lines type of spam that gets a very low score. Here is what I
> have running:
>

> SpamAssassin 2.63
>
> ORDB-RBL
>
> spamhaus.org
>
> spamcop.net
>
> dsbl.org
>
> abuseat.org
>
> blitzed.org
>
> Razor2
>

> I’m not doing Bayes at the moment as it seems to be a real hassle doing
> the training.
>

> So my question is what can I do to improve the whole system? What
> tweaks? Will DCC help out a lot? Are there any better RBLs? Tweaks to
> SpamAssassin?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Max

the system manager.