MailScanner vs. SpamKiller

Max Kipness mkipness at GENIANT.COM
Mon Mar 1 15:55:07 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I've been running MailScanner for a while for a few clients. I just
signed on a new client that was using SpamKiller by Mcafee I believe.
The main reason for the service is for queueing their mail when their
Exchange server goes down which it has been every weekend due to
scheduled power outages. However, they are still relying on the Spam and
Virus filtration.

The problem is that they decided to turn off SpamKiller the other day,
and started getting spam that they assumed MailScanner would stop.
Bottom line is that when SpamKiller is enabled, they get close to no
spam at all. Some of the samples that they sent me are the very basic
couple of lines type of spam that gets a very low score. Here is what I
have running:

SpamAssassin 2.63

ORDB-RBL

spamhaus.org

spamcop.net

dsbl.org

abuseat.org

blitzed.org

Razor2

I'm not doing Bayes at the moment as it seems to be a real hassle doing
the training.

So my question is what can I do to improve the whole system? What
tweaks? Will DCC help out a lot? Are there any better RBLs? Tweaks to
SpamAssassin?

Thanks,

Max