F-Prot - Debian - MailScanner paths

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 17:11:09 GMT 2004

At 17:06 01/03/2004, you wrote:
>We have MailScanner running great here, using Clam but we want to test
>F-Prot to see if we want an additional VS to catch all these bad email
>viruses (sp)
>
>In looking at the notices send to us to make sure we are getting viruses
>caught I only see Clam running the scan;
>
>     Report: ClamAV: application.pif contains Worm.SomeFool.B-petite
>             MailScanner: Shortcuts to MS-Dos programs are very dangerous in
>email (application.pif)
>
>We did the .deb install of F-Prot from their site and it seems that
>everything is in /usr/local/f-prot and in looking at the f-prot wrapper and
>autoupdate in MS the paths all want /usr/lib/f-prot :(

The non-Debian versions of MailScanner all expect /usr/local/f-prot to be
the installation directory by default.
You will need to change the path in /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf or
wherever the Debian guys have put that file. Don't alter the scripts at all.

>Should we ln -s /usr/lib/f-prot /usr/local/f-prot or change the MS settings
>in f-prot wrapper and autoupdate? Which is the better path to take, not the
>easiest:))

Neither. Use the virus.scanners.conf file. This is exactly why it is there.

--
Julian Field