Output Bug: install.sh for Solaris

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Wed Jun 30 17:28:28 IST 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, John Rudd wrote:

> This one is minor.  It tells you it installed mailscanner in /opt, but
> it doesn't tell you that it installed it at as "MailScanner-$VERSION".
> This lead me to assume it had bee installed as "/opt/MailScanner".  So,
> I was sort of confused when I didn't see it there.  Then I noticed it
> among my forrest of previous MailScanner versions.

At a higher level, my personal view (and I stress that!) is that it would
be nice for it to attempt to use the Solaris "pkg" mechanism (equivalent
to Redhat RPM) if it can (at least as an option).  That is, "install.sh"
(or a subentity thereof) could (optionally) build and install a
MailScanner "pkg".

But I supect that would be some way in the future, and would require
someone keen to prototype the code.  (This would be as a structure
flexible enough to allow RPM, pkg, ".deb", and others.)

> (note: the _behavior_ is right and good, it's the message that is given
> to the user that needs to be fixed, IMO)

For this (non-pkg) type of behaviour, could you suggest a patch to Julian?

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk