Bug: install.sh for Solaris

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Tue Jun 29 23:46:45 IST 2004

Here's the relevant part of the output of install.sh:

> You appear to have 2 versions of Perl installed,
> the normal one in /usr/bin and one in /usr/local.
> This often happens if you have used CPAN to install modules.
> I strongly advise you remove all traces of perl from
> within /usr/local and then run this script again.

What it should do:

a) check to see if one of them is a symlink to the other (in this case,
it is: /usr/bin/perl is a symlink to /usr/local/bin/perl
b) not assume that /usr/bin is authorative (which it is doing by
recommending that all traces of the one in /usr/local be removed: very
poor recommendation, considering that's the _correct_ installation of
perl)
c) check to see which one might have some or all of the correct modules
in place
d) ask, ask, ask what the right behavior should be.  In this case:
   "do you wish to:
      1) proceed with /usr/local (default)
      2) proceed with /usr/bin
      3) exit so you can 'fix it'
      enter choice:"

(the reason 1 is the default is because it checked the symlink and saw
that they're the same, and/or checked the modules and saw most of them
are already installed under /usr/local)

Failing and then forcing you to re-run without the sanity check
("./install-sh ignore-perl") is a poor choice of design.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk