mail routing performance issues, backing up in /var/spool/mqueue

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Tue Jun 29 18:52:45 IST 2004

lester lasad wrote:

> fedora core 1
> mailscanner-4.31.6-1
> SpamAssassin version 2.63
> mta= sendmail
>
> mail is backing up in /var/spool/mqueue, it is getting
> to the /var/spool/mqueue.in in a timely manner but
> once it gets to mqueue it is taking too long to route.

This looks like a sendmail problem, since MailScanner's job is finished
once messages are in /var/spool/mqueue.  How is your outgoing sendmail
called?

> I have been using this same setup for roughly two
> weeks and just started noticing the performance issues
> friday afternoon.

Do you see anything else, swapping, high cpu usage?

what is the output of free?
what is the output of

vmstat 1

?

> I am not finding anything in the maillog that would
> lead me to believe that there is a problem.  The only
> steps I have taken so far was to try using different
> dns servers and I also turned on skip_rbl_checks in
> /etc/MailScanner/spam.spamassassin.prefs.conf

do you have a local caching nameserver?

> If I restart MailScanner it seems to route quickly but
> only for a couple of minutes then it starts backing up
> again.  I usually have anywhere from 200 to 500
> messages in mqueue at one time since this problem
> started surfacing.

And how many did you have before?

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk