mail routing performance issues, backing up in /var/spool/mqueue

lester lasad llasad1 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 29 18:32:54 IST 2004

fedora core 1
mailscanner-4.31.6-1
SpamAssassin version 2.63
mta= sendmail

mail is backing up in /var/spool/mqueue, it is getting
to the /var/spool/mqueue.in in a timely manner but
once it gets to mqueue it is taking too long to route.

I have been using this same setup for roughly two
weeks and just started noticing the performance issues
friday afternoon.

I am not finding anything in the maillog that would
lead me to believe that there is a problem.  The only
steps I have taken so far was to try using different
dns servers and I also turned on skip_rbl_checks in
/etc/MailScanner/spam.spamassassin.prefs.conf

If I restart MailScanner it seems to route quickly but
only for a couple of minutes then it starts backing up
again.  I usually have anywhere from 200 to 500
messages in mqueue at one time since this problem
started surfacing.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My box routes roughly 40,000 - 50,000 messages per day.