msre = MailScanner Ruleset Editor (new project)

Kevin Hanser Kevin at MICA.NET
Fri Jun 25 18:09:16 IST 2004

Hello all,

I've been working on a web-based frontend that will make it easier for
me (and other administrators that I install this for) to edit
MailScanner rulesets.  I have installed MailWatch and it's great for
managing the quarantine and whatnot, but I didn't see any way to edit
the rulesets, so I thought I'd make my own :)

The reason for me making this is that I need to be able to deploy
MailScanner/SA/ClamAV installations at customer locations and give them
the ability to modify their installations w/out contacting me for every
little thing. :)

And so msre was born:

Msre is a few php scripts that proved a web-based interface to editing
MailScanner rulesets.  It's pretty basic right now, and doesn't do ANY
sort of error checking.  This is intended for people that know how MS
rulesets work, so you'll have to make sure that you make legal rules
yourself.  I've created a sourceforge project for msre, at msre.sf.net.
I have put up the initial v0.1 release for download, and I appreciate
any input or testing that anyone would like to do.  Even if all you do
is d/l it and look at my code and tell me how horrible a PHP programmer
is, that's fine (as long as you tell me what I'm doing wrong and why :)
I've only tested this on RH9 and FC1 systems, using MailScanner
installed from the RPM.

Please keep in mind that this is still BETA software, and as such may
still contain bugs and might even hose your system.  (I really doubt
that it will, but I have to say it anyway)  PLEASE make backup copies of
your rulesets before trying msre to edit them, in case your rulesets
look different than mine and it gets confused and does something really
strange.  BE SURE TO READ the README file before using it as well, as it
contains some notes about how the program behaves in certain situations.

Any questions/comments/hate-mail/etc can be sent to msre at hanser.org

Thx!

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk