MailScanner and RHEL 3

Trever Furnish TGFurnish at HERFFJONES.COM
Fri Jun 25 00:51:17 IST 2004

Ditto.

I have the same problem on a compaq dl380 g3 with 1GB of RAM and on my
workstation at home.  I went straight from redhat 7.2 to redhat 9, then to
RHEL3 - the same hardware running rh7.2 never had an issue, so I've always
thought it was because of the switch in memory management code RH did
starting with 7.3.

On my mailscanner system, performance increased greatly after I just turned
off swap entirely.  Before that performance would be ok till memory
approached the max of physical ram.  Buffer cache always chewed up way more
than I wanted it to, and so far as I know the amount of buffer cache used
isn't tunable within RHEL3.

I don't know that buffer cache accounts for the whole problem though - I had
more swap used than I had buffer cache in use, so I think there's an issue
with deciding *when* to swap and *when* to unswap. :-(

Although I've been *very* happy with rhel3 since I turned off the swap, I
was awfully disappointed to find this bug still seemingly present.

--
Trever

ve/direct/01/

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk