request of list members

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Thu Jun 24 04:11:26 IST 2004

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 10:04 pm, James Gray wrote:

> ** Snip **
>
> > Errors:
> > Jun 23 19:01:37 makeworld MailScanner[85741]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus
> > Scanner version 4.31.6 starting...
> > Jun 23 19:01:37 makeworld MailScanner[85741]: Syntax error in line 2 of
> > ruleset file /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/subject.scanned.rules
> > Jun 23 19:01:37 makeworld MailScanner[85741]: Aborting due to syntax
> > errors in /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/subject.scanned.rules.
> >
> > Here is subject.scanned.rules
> > FromOrTo:    mailscanner at jiscmail.ac.uk         no
> > FromOrTo:    default                            yes
> >
> > It seems it does not like "yes" in line 2.
>
> OK - really dumb question, but are you separating the fields in the rule
> file with tabs?  You can't use spaces in ".rules" files.  I always put a
> blank line on the end of files (old habit...probably should get out of it)
> which doesn't seem to break anything.

Yes, I ensured  that the said file used tabs instead of spaces.
Still the same errors.

Point of interest - in the MailScanned.conf file, here are the rules that it
expects:

# When the message has been scanned but no other subject line changes
# have happened, do you want modify the subject line?
# This can be 1 of 3 values:
#      no    = Do not modify the subject line, or
#      start = Add text to the start of the subject line, or
#      end   = Add text to the end of the subject line.
# This makes very good advertising of your MailScanning service.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Scanned Modify Subject = no # end
#Scanned Modify Subject = %rules-dir%/subject.scanned.rules

I DON'T see an option called "yes" - this relates to the error in line 2 of
said file. It being "yes"

--
Best regards,
Chris