Help! ....We are taking 120k msgs per day and climbing

Randal, Phil prandal at HEREFORDSHIRE.GOV.UK
Thu Jun 17 14:00:33 IST 2004

MailScanner mailing list wrote:
> Michael Emdy wrote:
>> Killing MailScanner-MRTG did the trick, brought our load back down
>> to normal levels:
>>
>> 08:04:37  up 1 day, 14:00,  4 users,  load average: 1.52, 1.50, 1.46
>>
>> Hopefully this problem is fixed in the next release, is there any
>> safer/better way to run MailScanner-MRTG, showing the stats and
>> results help justify it's existence in our organization to the pointy
>> haired bosses.

> Did you actually count how many files are in quarantine?
> With the number of viruses around now and the volume of mail
> suggested by the title of your post 1000 seems very low
> (unless of course you are filtering some virus mails with a
> ruleset).  If you're not convinced give me a shout off list
> later (kevin at kevinspicer dot co dot uk) and I'll try and
> help you get to the bottom of it.

A lot of viruses will be flagged as high-scoring spam and hence
not listed as viruses in the stats, so I suspect the actual
virus counts are MUCH higher - we're seeing viruses 10%+ of
incoming emails.

Phil

----
Phil Randal