Help! ....We are taking 120k msgs per day and climbing

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Thu Jun 17 13:55:16 IST 2004

Michael Emdy wrote:
> Killing MailScanner-MRTG did the trick, brought our load back down to
> normal levels:
>
> 08:04:37  up 1 day, 14:00,  4 users,  load average: 1.52, 1.50, 1.46
>
> Hopefully this problem is fixed in the next release, is there any
> safer/better way to run MailScanner-MRTG, showing the stats and
> results help justify it's existence in our organization to the pointy
> haired bosses.

It is, and in the latest unstable, it now wraps the whole data collection routine in a timeout (it also only counts todays quarantine files and adds them to the totals for other days that are still present) so it can't hose your server by constantly stepping on its own toes (or course you don't get the data then, but at least it doesn't interfere with mail delivery)

Did you actually count how many files are in quarantine?  With the number of viruses around now and the volume of mail suggested by the title of your post 1000 seems very low (unless of course you are filtering some virus mails with a ruleset).  If you're not convinced give me a shout off list later (kevin at kevinspicer dot co dot uk) and I'll try and help you get to the bottom of it.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.