How do you stop the recent floods

Wed Jun 16 14:56:37 IST 2004

Chris

subscribe to the sa-users list..

trawl the rules on www.ruleemporium.com and add in where necessary..

use the surbl.org rules/patch to stop via uri scanning within the
message (see the web site for info in the patch etc).

a default SA 2.63 will NOT keep spam at bay by its own. Like an
anti-virus program it is reactive and therefore someone (you) need to
keep it upto date...there are some utils that will keep rulesets upto
date on their own, but new rules come along all the time to catch
specific new types of spam, so you need to keep an eye out for these.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Chris Mason wrote:
> In the good old days, about six months ago, spam came from open relays,
> Blackhole lists stopped most of it, and the combination of MailScanner and
> Spamassassin stopped almost all of the rest of it. Then came these
> spam-relaying virus ridden windows machines, and the torrent began. I am
> seeing hundreds of emails in a couple of minutes from the same user, same
> subject, all getting through. MailScanner does not stop them, and the
> blackhole lists are useless against them.
>
> Is there anything I can do?
>
> Chris Mason

the system manager.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk