Postfix check headers

Stijn Jonker SJCJonker at SJC.NL
Wed Jun 16 06:03:49 IST 2004

Drew Marshall said the following on 15-Jun-04 23:24:

>> This is an outbound mail from my exchange server to
>> postfix/mailscanner and back to the exchange server. As you can see
>> it has filtered out the exchange servers IP 192.168.100.50.
>>
>> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
>>         kirk.kringstad.net with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.0); Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:01:20 +0200
 >>
> Well that's not so bad. How about using another header to 'HOLD'
> against? Try
>
> /^To:/ HOLD
>
> That ought to work also (I would want to check that a header starting To: is always present in all mail though. I can't believe that's not in an RFC some where  ;-) )

First a remark, I don't use postfix as the MTA that is "running"
MailScanner, but reading and researching the move to postfix I think i
kind of understand the single instance config. (Now we got this
disclaimer out of the way ;-))

Hmm this sound scary, as you can send mail without an To: in the body.
You are now "holding" on the To: in the body not the envelope. So if an
virus or spam would be send without to it would pass right through.

Wouldn't Message-ID be an better option? This is added by MTA's
automaticly as it isn't present.

Afaik mail works perfectly well without To: From: or Subject: in the
body, it will look strange in the MUA (MailReader) but it will arrive ok.

Just my 0.02 Euro.

--
Met Vriendelijke groet/Yours Sincerely
Stijn Jonker <SJCJonker at sjc.nl>