tips for fighting spams discussion (Crontab Entry)

Brendan Chard chardlist at CHARD.NET
Tue Jun 15 01:37:42 IST 2004

What does your crontab entry look like for the nightly processing of the
spamlearn folders?

-----Original Message-----
Of Andy Moran
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 8:09 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: tips for fighting spams discussion

I don't know about your first and third question, but for #2:

> 2) Said in step (3) to point the messages to null. So  it means the
> messages will be filtered before it goes to null?

Yes.  MailScanner runs before sendmail reads any aliases and delivers it.

We don't use this "forward spam messages" methods, especially since I'm
not convinced the bayesian filter won't learn incorrectly on them.  All
the spams it is getting are coming from your users and going to a spam@
address.  What will keep it from learning that these certain users
aren't the spammers?

What we use instead is an IMAP folder approach.    Users create a folder
called "spamlearn".  Any spams they get they move into that folder.
Every night a cron job collects messages from these folders and feeds
them to sa-learn.  It then empties the mailbox.  The user knows they got
processed because their mailbox empties out.

--Andy

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk