MTA + AV: opinions?

Andre Costa costa at TECGRAF.PUC-RIO.BR
Tue Jun 8 18:31:25 IST 2004

Hi Kevin,

thks for the info. Comments below...

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:11:50 +0100
Kevin Spicer <kevins at BMRB.CO.UK> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 17:58, Andre Costa wrote:
> > - has BitDefender improved in anyway since then? Anyone using it?
> I've found it very good, they're also one of the quickest with updates

Cool =)

> > - if not, what (free) AV solution are you guys using? What's your
> > level of satisfaction with it?
> Use ClamAV (as well as Bitdefender) .

Both? Any noticeable impact on performance?

> > - any recommendation about what MTA to use? we've initially dumped
> > sendmail for security reasons, but we're willing to listen to any
> > experience you guys could share.
>
> Not from personal experience (I use sendmail) but why not use exim?

It's definitely another heavyweight contender, we initially considered
both (exim still isn't out of the game). I remember once trying to
configure exim to use procmail, and it was much more complicated than I
expected, so it left me with the impression it was maybe too complex to
my needs back then. It was sometime ago, so things might have changed in
the meantime...

Best,

Andre

--