Some really newbie quesitons.

Paul Rantin jokerni at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 2 12:14:16 IST 2004

Hi All

Many thanks for all your inputs, like I said I’m a newbie to all of this.
I’ve just started to mess about with mail servers. I’m one guy, one domain
who all of a sudden is getting hammered by one of the big three US
spammers, I get more that 700 emails a day of spam. They are using a
blanket attack, i.e. *randomname*@mydomian.com and it gets very tiring
trying to sort it out. That is why I have installed SpamAssasin and
MailScanner. As Kevin emailed I am using a mail forwarded system from my
hosting service and because of the way I have my mail system setup I use
the catch all option which redirects to a mail account. Now with this
amount of spam I have having to setup filers for all the mail addresses
that I use.
All of this is extra work for me and I am very angry that I have to do
this. When I see other replies stating that I should just delete it my
instant response is why should I if I am getting spammed why should I not
bounce it back? Yes I know that the mail header is forged but I feel
totally useless that someone is attacking my system and there’s not a lot I
can do about it. I thought some of it would maybe get back and if they seen
that it was getting bounced it might get them to stop, again I know this
more often than not the case but I have had a hacked attempt on the spam
trap email account I had setup to process the incoming mails, so some do
monitor what they get bounced back.

As always I’m open to suggestions on how I can tackle this.

Thanks again

Paul

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk