4.31.6: grumbles about install.sh

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Tue Jun 1 20:58:29 IST 2004

Julian,

For us curmudgeons who are used to installing MS via the tarfile
of previous months, can we continue to do this?  After unrolling
MailScanner-install-4.31.6-1.tar.gz, can I just untar
MailScanner-4.31.6-1.tar.gz and prceed as I used to?  Do I need
to build the new tnef if I do this?

My quick observations about install.sh:

1) I always like install scripts that have a "debug" mode, ie
"I will show you what I would do (and build things in a /tmp
directory), but I will not attempt to install anything" mode.

2) My /usr/local filesystem is NFS-mounted, so I don't want
tnef going there.  I  would like any tnef executable to be in
MailScanner's directory tree, eg /opt/MailScanner-4.31.6.  Keep
things in one tidy spot, plueeeze.

3) I have both gcc and cc (Sun Forte 7) installed.  I build the
public-domain perl with Sun's compiler, because of threading,
interactions with Sun's shared libs, etc.  My heart sank when I saw
the symlink of /tmp/MStmpinstall../cc to /usr/local/bin/gcc.
Ugh.  Attempts to run the script give:

Your perl and your Config.pm seem to have different ideas about the
architecture they are running on.
Perl thinks: [sun4-solaris-thread-multi]
Config says: [sun4-solaris-thread-multi]

Still studying the script...

Jeff Earickson
Colby College

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk