Sendmail not verifying User

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Tue Jun 1 13:12:33 IST 2004

This has been discussed at length recently and it's not that difficult to
implement. If your using sendmail please read the techniques used at:

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/270.html

We've used these techniques very successfully with Exchange, Domino and
POP/IMAP backend mail hubs.

The trick is simply:

1. Build a list on the gateway of valid email addresses in the form:

user at somedomain.com     user at mailhub.somedomain.com

This can done using LDAP queries, scripts, or even manually. We usually
build this list automatically using a cronjob.

2. Configure sendmail to use the list as outlined at the link above.

Steve

Stephen Swaney
President
Fortress Systems Ltd.