MTA preferences for use with MailScanner

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Thu Jul 29 12:44:41 IST 2004

On Wed, July 28, 2004 16:40, Mike Andrews said:
> (I hope this is sufficiently on-topic; flame me privately, please, if you
> think it's not.)
>
> I've got three shiny new IBM xSeries 335 servers with lots of room and
> speed, which I'll
> be deploying as MailScanner filters as soon as I get them loaded up. I now
> have to
> decide which MTA to run on these boxes.
>
> I've been running sendmail as my MTA on all the MailScanner boxes so far,
> but thought
> it might be good to have something a little less cryptic for my co-workers
> to deal with, in
> case I get hit by a truck.
>
> Would listmembers care to express their opinions of exim and postfix,
> their ease of use
> and of configuration, with MailScanner? I'll be glad to have them.

Personally I like Postfix. I got frustrated with the recompiling of
Sendmail to change features (Same with qMail), I looked at Exim and
although it's feature set is comprehensive, being a thicky I got lost on
about page 5 of the setup instructions. In comparison, Postfix does all
that I need, using a set up file that is well decribed (Like
MailScanner.conf) and using plain english command sets. It also supports
mail filtering by header, body or RBL out of the box along with all the
usual mysql, LDAP look ups etc. I also have not found it to be any slower
than the others but I don't handle huge amounts of mail. YMMV. I do also
know that due to the way that MS handles Postfix queue files it is
slightly less efficient than Sendmail/ Exim but the ease of set up and
inteligent queue handling (Once scanned) more than redresses this in my
eyes.

Having 3 new boxes, this could be the ideal time for you to conduct MTA
trials to aid others asking the same questions, one Sendmail, one Exim and
one Postfix :-)

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy