Upgrading Mail Server

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Jul 28 09:36:32 IST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 08:53, Jim Holland wrote:
> Hi

> > Actually its RHEL, minus the redhat logo's and the addition of the 'yum'
> > package manager.
>
> > My first choice is TaoLinux or Lineox. In most cases, it dosent matter
> > what you install ( they come from the same set of SRPMS ), most packages
> > work and install fine across the installs. So dont be surprised if
> > people install whitebox, but pull updates from Tao.
>
> Is it possible to use up2date with these derivatives?

No, they both use yum - which I think is also what you get with Fedora
now (never used fedora so I'm not certain on that).  Yum has a number of
advantages, it can pull from a number of different sources (up2date can
use only one source IIRC),  it doesn't require a RHN subscription and
you can easily setup your own yum repository (using http or , I think,
ftp), which means if you have several machines you can mirror the distos
server on your site, also if you have any customised rpms you can set up
a respository for them too.

We're about to switch to Tao for most things (were using Mandrake but
got tired of the short upgrade cycle).

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000