FreeBSD install guide

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Tue Jul 27 21:28:35 IST 2004

No Name wrote:

>Could you make an updated howto on configuring freebsd 4.x/5.x to run
>Postfix with Mailscanner so that it accepts mail as the main MX then after
>all the scanning it will delivery it to remote mail sever?

So what's wrong with what there is already (OK so it's three docs but
it's not that bad :-) )

As you are running FreeBSD I assume you know how to work the ports tree
and install from there? If not is it right that a document for MS should
include that kind of detail? (Don't know please suggest) Try here
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html for
excellent information.
Having installed Postfix try here
http://www.plusone.com/gaptuning/postfix/ for details of integrating
Exchange with your mail gateway (From www.postfix.org/docs.html) and
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#firewall to
set up Postfix as a mail gateway (No local delivery).
Get it all working then install MailScanner (Using the ports as
previously) and set up following the instruction here
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml

It's not that bad really. The problem is where should a software
developer (Open source or otherwise) draw the line with the
instructions? Should it only be relevant to their software? The OS? The
hardware? The (Nice) problem that MailScanner has is that it is so
flexible and runs on so many systems, MTA's, anti-virus software etc,
etc, etc that to write instruction for it all would mean that urgent
patches (Like today, from the other side of the Atlantic. Apparently the
world isn't flat ;-) ) don't get done as more time is spent writing docs
than fixing and improving. I know which I would rather have :-)

HTH

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy