Fix for MyDoom-O problems

Mariano Absatz el.baby at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 27 21:29:40 IST 2004

Guys...

Julian is off-site and with very bad connectivity, I know what it
means trying to sort things out without access to your cvs, and all
the stuff you keep around.

FWIW, I didn't check if  4.32.whatever is already on line but:

The patch Julian provided applies nicely and without any errors to the
last (at the time) 4.32 beta which was 4.32.3.

The patch I provided for 4.31.6 was just a plain diff between the
original 4.31.6 Message.pm and the Message.pm that Julian had provided
earlier. It, obviously, applies silently to 4.31.6.

The patch I provided for 4.29.7 was a back-port of the patch for
4.31.6 that I did myself... it's the only one I tried and it works. I
have 12 production servers running this version without a problem.

For the versions 'in between' or 'just below 4.29.7', you should try
the closest patch. If all you get is a message saying that a hunk
succeeded applying 'fuzz' at a different offset, it 'should' be OK...
give it a try, send yourself a message infected with one of these new
viruses...

At different places I have MS 4.29.7 with Message.pm already patched
(for some other functionality I had added) and the patching only said
that hunks succeeded at different offsets, everything's running fine.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but I want to really thank Julian
for providing solutions in such a hurry under bad conditions (for
him)... and to Larry Wall for 'patch' which is one of the best tools
I've ever used... (and for Perl, also)
:-)

Jason... I answer your particular question down below...

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:08:05 -0700, Jason Williams
<jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com> wrote:
> >  Please note that Julian's patch was for (correct me if I'm wrong) the
> >latest stable version of MailScanner or newer (the beta's).
> >
> >  The patch will fail (like it did for you) on earlier versions. Take a look
> >at the post from Mariano Absatz. He posted the following URL which has
> >patches that work against 4.29.7:
> >
> >  http://baby.com.ar/MailScanner/zipWzip/
> >
> >  The 4.29.7 patch also applied properly for 4.30.3. I haven't noticed any
> >obvious problems with the patch, but I'm still testing it before I push it
> >into production at my site. But initial testing appears that there aren't
> >any obvious issues
>
> I appreciate the link, as I am running 4.29-7.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what happens if you attempt to patch Message.pm and
> it fails? Since it fails, does it affect anything with MS? I'm assuming no
> because the patch didn't work and nothing was changed for that matter. I
> could be wrong though. :)
Well, it depends... if it failed _completely_ (that is, no hunk
succeeded), then yes, your Message.pm is unmodified and everything
will work as before (you'll probably have a Message.pm.rej in the same
directory with the rejections... since every hunk was rejected, this
will look rather similar to the original patch).

If every hunk succeeds 'silently', then the patch work fine, and you
have a new Message.pm... after restarting (not reloading) MailScanner,
it will be running.

If every hunk succeeds but you see messages about 'fuzz' or 'different
offset', then everything should be fine, your Message.pm is modified
and you get a Message.pm.orig with a copy of the original file 'just
in case' you want to revert.

Now... if some hunks succeed and other don't, you're into trouble...
the Message.pm is modified, but only in part... you'll also get the
original file in Message.pm.orig and a file with the failed hunks (in
patch format) named Message.pm.rej... you have to manually check this
last file and see why it didn't apply and if you have to manually make
changes or discard them...

This last thing requires that you understand a bit of patch and diff
(and Perl)...
man patch
man diff
and get the camel book...

but this is going out of the reach of this message...

FWIW, the last scenario was what I got when applied the 4.31.6 patch
to the plain stock 4.29.7 Message.pm... the 2 hunks that hand't
applied were harmless, but I had to manually check that, including
making a diff between stock Message.pm files from 4.29.7 and 4.31.6...

HTH

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
el (dot) baby (AT) gmail (dot) com