SpamCopURI-0.19 seems broken

Gerry Doris gdoris at ROGERS.COM
Tue Jul 27 00:32:54 IST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 15:08, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Gang,
>     I've been following the "BigEvil and Stuff" thread, and I too have been having
> issues with SpamCopURI-0.19, eval: complaints and open_redirect_list complaints.
> My setup: Solaris 9, SA 2.63, URI-1.31 (also tried 1.30), MS 4.31.6.
> And perl 5.8.4: osname=solaris, osvers=2.9, archname=sun4-solaris-thread-multi
>
> I downloaded Steve Swaney's version from http://www.fsl.com/support/
> and followed the instructions, including cleaning out my copies of backhair,
> bigevil, etc from my /etc/mail/spamassassin directory.  My lint output from
> "spamassassin -D -p /etc/mail/spamassassin --lint" gives garbage like:
>
> Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: open_redirect_list
> _spamcop_uri   snurl.com              *.snurl.com
> (etc)
>
> and
>
> Failed to compile URI SpamAssassin tests, skipping:
>      (syntax error at /etc/mail/spamassassin/surbl_uri.cf, rule SPAMCOP_URI_RBL,
> line 1, near "eval:"
> syntax error at /etc/mail/spamassassin/surbl_uri.cf, rule OB_URI_RBL, line 1, ne
> ar "eval:"
> syntax error at /etc/mail/spamassassin/surbl_uri.cf, rule OB_URI_RBL, line 9, ne
> ar "}
>      }"
> )
>
> Following the advice of the list, I commented out the open_redirect lines, and
> removed the "eval:" stuff in surbl_uri.cf to shut up these complaints.
>
> However -- I'm not convinced that this is the correct fix.  I did this on Friday
> night and I got a TON of spam over the weekend.  Way more than usual.  Methinks
> SpamCopURI-0.19 is useless, or neutered by the changes to surbl_uri.cf.
>
> How to *really* fix these errors???
>
> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College

I had the same error messages and was the one that commented out "eval:"
to get it to stop complaining.  However, while that stopped the error
messages SpamCopURI didn't seem to be working.

I went back and reinstalled SA 2.63 and the two perl modules in Steve's
message.  That fixed things.  I put the "eval:" line back in and
uncommented the redirect lines.  All ran without complaints and I
started seeing SA reports with SpamCopURI scores.

--
Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk