nested .zip containing bad files not being caught

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Mon Jul 26 22:03:20 IST 2004

The problem has to do with how Mailscanner unpacks archives. If it
encounters two of the same file names it ignores the second one as already
seen and doesn't process it at all, that means if you pack the bad file
within a filename that matches the parent file name the bad file will never
get unpacked, or checked against rules. This is a known issue (at least a
month now) and I think Julian is working on a real solution. I have a patch
for a quick fix, but it isn't a best solution, just a work around. It will
find dupes and rename then with a timestamp prepended to the actually file
name. This would allow everything to work properly except a case where a
file name rule was based on the first xxxx characters of the file name and
not the extension. I will root around and see if I can post the patch later
today.

Rick

believed to be clean.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk