SpamCopURI-0.19 seems broken

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Mon Jul 26 20:08:50 IST 2004

Gang,
    I've been following the "BigEvil and Stuff" thread, and I too have been having
issues with SpamCopURI-0.19, eval: complaints and open_redirect_list complaints.
My setup: Solaris 9, SA 2.63, URI-1.31 (also tried 1.30), MS 4.31.6.
And perl 5.8.4: osname=solaris, osvers=2.9, archname=sun4-solaris-thread-multi

I downloaded Steve Swaney's version from http://www.fsl.com/support/
and followed the instructions, including cleaning out my copies of backhair,
bigevil, etc from my /etc/mail/spamassassin directory.  My lint output from
"spamassassin -D -p /etc/mail/spamassassin --lint" gives garbage like:

Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: open_redirect_list
_spamcop_uri   snurl.com              *.snurl.com
(etc)

and

Failed to compile URI SpamAssassin tests, skipping:
     (syntax error at /etc/mail/spamassassin/surbl_uri.cf, rule SPAMCOP_URI_RBL,
line 1, near "eval:"
syntax error at /etc/mail/spamassassin/surbl_uri.cf, rule OB_URI_RBL, line 1, ne
ar "eval:"
syntax error at /etc/mail/spamassassin/surbl_uri.cf, rule OB_URI_RBL, line 9, ne
ar "}
     }"
)

Following the advice of the list, I commented out the open_redirect lines, and
removed the "eval:" stuff in surbl_uri.cf to shut up these complaints.

However -- I'm not convinced that this is the correct fix.  I did this on Friday
night and I got a TON of spam over the weekend.  Way more than usual.  Methinks
SpamCopURI-0.19 is useless, or neutered by the changes to surbl_uri.cf.

How to *really* fix these errors???

Jeff Earickson
Colby College

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk