FreeBSD install guide

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Fri Jul 23 14:37:31 IST 2004

On Thu, July 22, 2004 14:29, Ugo Bellavance said:
> Btw, I`m planning on building an (ahem) exhaustive install guide for
> FreeBSD.  Anyone has some notes about a postfix, exim or qmail install
> on FreeBSD?

I have only ever installed Postfix on FreeBSD (but I would assume that the
other 2 mailers are the same) and the exhaustive guide is rather short...

cd /usr/ports/mail/<MTA>
make install
[Pick build options from nice menu options and select OK]
Read any on screen post installation information and act accordingly
Edit config files to get (In this instance) Postfix working (main.cf) like
host machine, permitted relay details, mail delivery etc (Postfix's
main.cf file is written a little like MS' MailScanner.conf file so well
described. More features can be found at
http://www.postfix.org/docs.html).
Once it's working, install MS as per the instructions...

Sorry, I can't make it more complicated :-) I like Postfix because it does
what it does and doesn't need recompiling to give it new features or
settings and it's config file is well documented and uses 'understandable'
English commands making it great for stupid people like me ;-)

HTH

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy