Mailscanner and Sendmail Null Client

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Thu Jul 22 22:44:24 IST 2004

I'm trying to think of ways to set up a dedicated 'scanning array' using
mailscanner.  What I envision is this:

1) If the primary email servers receive email that didn't come from the
scan array, then they send that message to the scan array (this is
pretty trivial to set up under CommuniGate Pro).

2) the scan array is a load balanced group of machines running sendmail
+ mailscanner.  When they're done scanning messages, they send all
messages back to the primary email servers (no matter what their actual
destination might be).

One way I can think of doing this is to do this:

A) use libwrap on the scan array machines to only accept connections
from the primaries

B) have the primaries in their relay domain (so they accept all
messages, no matter what the to/from might be, and thus the primaries
are responsible for being set up to not do promiscusious relaying)

C) have the sendmail config be a null client which points back to the
primaries.

Can I just have one .cf file set up to be a null client, or does the
first sendmail process (the one that does queueonly) need to be a real
config and not just a null client?

I'm thinking of doing this instead of trying to fix my routines for
directly using mailscanner with communigate pro (I may still do that
later, but I think this solution can be put together faster, and more
reliably).  Plus, it keeps the scanning load off of the systems that
need to be more user-responsive (because they're serving mail
submission, webmail, pop, and imap).

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk