Mail::SpamAssassin::SpamCopURI 0.19

Ken Goods KGoods at AIAINSURANCE.COM
Thu Jul 22 22:21:46 IST 2004

Stephen Swaney scribbled on Thursday, July 22, 2004 2:10 PM:

>> Big Snip
>>
> HMMMM,
>
> I can see several things possible wrong.
>
> First fix your bayes database. Remove the lock files in the
> bayes directory
> and then run (type all on one line):
>
> 1. sa-learn -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --rebuild
> --force-expire
>
> 2. Try un-commenting (remove the #) of the line:
>
>         # spamcop_uri_resolve_open_redirects 1
>
>  in the surbl_uri.cf and run the test again
>
> 3. If this doesn't work, can you remove the SpamCopURI module and try
> installing again with the CPAN method. This should resolve
> and missing perl
> dependencies.
>
> 3. Consider installing Razor, Pyzor, DCC and rules_du_jour to improve
> spam detection substantially. Check out our support page for
> information on these
> installs.
>
> Steve
>
> Stephen Swaney
> President
> Fortress Systems Ltd.
> Steve.Swaney at FSL.com

Thanks Steve!
I will do as you suggest, I knew something was up with the bayes DB but
didn't have a clue as to what to do. As you will see in another post the
SpamCopURI does seem to be working (along with bayes... don't ask me) but I
would like to clean it up a bit.

I am hesitant on adding Razor, Pyzor, DCC and rules_du_jour because of the
performance hits I've read about. This all runs on a lowly 233PII with 196MB
of ram and is comfortably processing 5-8k emails a day but I'm afraid that
if I add more rules I may cause more trouble than it's worth. I have no
budget for more horsepower. And since the consensus seems to be SpamCopURI
works so well, that's the one I chose to go with first. I suppose I could
add the others one at a time and baby sit and see how it goes but I've got a
ton of other things to do around here! :)

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Kind regards,
Ken

Ken Goods