Released beta version 4.32.3

Michael St. Laurent mikes at HARTWELLCORP.COM
Thu Jul 22 21:06:13 IST 2004

Julian Field <> wrote:
> At 20:14 22/07/2004, you wrote:
>> Julian Field <mailto:mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>

>>> You mean there's a difference?
>>
>> assuming your question is not rhetorical...
>>
>> yes the midwest is sort of the middle northern part of the united
>> states*. "mid way up the west coast" is oregon. none of the midwest
>> states sit on either coast. if someone told you oregon is in the
>> midwest they are mistaken. it is about as far west as you can get
>> save hawaii and alaska.
>
> So it's in the middle of the west vertically, not mid-west
> horizontally.
> I understand now. Outside the top right corner and the sticky-out bit
> at the bottom, my geography of the USA is pretty shaky. The other 12
> countries I've been to are a lot easier :-)

It becomes easier if you remember that the country grew from the east coast
towards the west coast.  So for a long time the "West" was considered to
start somewhere around Philadelphia ;-D and thus the "midwest" is (roughly
speaking) actually the middle of the country.

--
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk