BigEvil and stuff... HOWTO

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 22 14:42:40 IST 2004

At 14:18 22/07/2004, you wrote:
>I know I should be reading more emails to this list, but like many Sys
>admits, I am way too busy to keep up with so many changes so quickly....
>point in case this time.... apparently BigEvil's website has changed, as
>my script does not download it anymore.
>
>I went to the new site <http://www.surbl.org/>http://www.surbl.org/
>But its kind of confusing.... do they not simply update the .cf file
>anymore? now its a whole new way of doing things?
>
>Can someone take a minute to explain this to me please?

They have been made into efficient DNS domains rather than inefficient
lists of pattern-matches.

What you need to do, roughly, is this:

Go to www.surbl.org
Read www.surbl.org/lists.html
There are a whole load of "*.surbl.org" things there.
Download and install the "SpamCopURI" (linked from the 5th para on the page).
This finds your SpamAssassin installation and adds itself to SpamAssassin.
In one of your SpamAssassin rules files (even spam.assassin.prefs.conf) add
the "uri", "describe", "tflags" and "score" lines as shown and you will
start using sc.surbl.org.
You might want to add similar lines for the "ws.surbl.org" domain as well.

Remove your old BigEvil.cf files.

Restart MailScanner.

It works a treat, but make sure you are running SpamAssassin 2.63 before
you start installing SpamCopURI into it!
--
Julian Field

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk