A Blown transformer, hours of fixing and a day later...

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Tue Jul 20 19:08:36 IST 2004

Hello everyone.

Well, I had quite a day yesterday to put it mildly. After our building lost
power for 9 hours (as well as two buildings next to us) I spent a better
part of the afternoon and evening putting all my systems back together.
This all happened at 6am in the morning and by the time I got to the
office, our APC's had run out of juice and all the servers powered down.
:(  Anyway, 8 hours later, we finally had power and I began the process of
bringing everything up.

Now, I was checking out our mailgateway server which is running FreeBSD, MS
4.29-1, ClamAV and SpamAssassin and it seems to be running correctly, but I
wanted to ask a few questions here...

The server is accepting mail, scanning it, checking for viruses and spam
and doing the job. However, I have noticed something this time around that
I may or may not have noticed before. Bare with me here, im functioning on
2 hours sleep. :)

The load average, for the most part, before the power outage was between
0.02 and 0.15 with spikes up around 0.33. Nothing extreme, but seemed to be
the norm for the most part.

What I have noticed today is that the load averages are sort of all over
the place; from 0.01 to 0.33 with a average of about 0.07. Still low, but
i'm trying to figure out what, if anything could be wrong. I have also
noticed that my available free physical ram seems to be slowly trickling
down. I'm thinking that this is ok though, because once MS restarts itself
after some time, I see a kick back in available free physical RAM. I'm
thinking to check memory, vmstat would be the best way to go?

I apologize if I sound a bit of course. I've just had one hell of day
yesterday. Combine that with little to none sleep and a depravation of
coffee, and you get me. :)

Anyway, everyone on this list has always been extremely helpful with my
questions, and I was hoping to get some feedback on my server.

I appreciate it everyone.

Jason

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk